Heading to College? Here are 5 Ways to Go Green and Save
- Look for Energy Star - Use Energy Star certified light bulbs in your dorm rooms, apartments or rental and look for the Energy Star label on printers, computers and electronics to save energy and money on your energy bill while also reducing greenhouse gas emissions. As an added tip, remember to turn electronics to “sleep mode” when you are away from your computer or use a power strip to turn your electronics off for additional energy savings.
- eCycle - Getting a new cell phone or mobile device? Why not eCycle the old one. By eCycling your computer or your phone, you keep valuable natural resources from being wasted in landfills and recycling electronics also helps to reduce pollution that would otherwise be generated during the manufacturing process. Not to mention that you will keep harmful electronics out of our environment and ground water and you may make a few bucks.
- Watch the Water Usage - Water use has a big impact on the environment and if you are paying your own utilities, you will learn water can cost a pretty penny. Keep your parent's advice in mind and remember to turn off the tap while brushing your teeth or shaving and think about taking shorter showers. Here are 10 Ways to decrease water usage.
- Safer Consumer Products - There is no better time to begin learning about, and shopping for safer consumer products. From personal care products to food, learn to phase out parabens, phthalates, GMO's and other harmful products by shopping for organics and gaining the knowledge you need to shop wiser.
- What's Your Carbon Footprint? - Become conscious of just how your choices are making an impact on our planet by using one of the many carbon footprint calculators out there on the web like this one from the EPA.
Connect with Shane on Google+
The Green PolkaDot Box! Backed by the Organic Consumer's Association and EnvironmentalBooty.com, you can easily buy NonGMO organic groceries, including Harvest Fresh Organic produce, at wholesale pricing online. It's like a Sam's club but focused on products for green, healthy living! You can even shop by dietary restrictions like gluten free, vegan or diabetic and it all comes right to your front door. Enjoy!
Source: Greening Your Child’s College Years | It's Our Environment
Image Source: TBL