I am certain you have heard it before but it is worth repeating...little changes can make a big difference. If a lot of people do a bunch of little things, the world will really become a better, greener place. So here is your green living lesson for today, you may not be able to think of one big way to reduce our dependence on oil, but you can certainly do a bunch of little things. If we all try to help by doing something really small, we really will be helping to accomplish something really big. Collectively, all of our small changes will have a tremendously positive affect on our health and our environmental health.
There are health, environmental, and political reasons to reduce petroleum consumption from fertility concerns to cancer. Please read the following tips, take action to live greener with less dependence on oil and share what you are learning with those around you.
1. Avoid buying plastic toys and goods when an alternative is available.
2. Don’t use plastic bags; stick to reusable bags that can be washed frequently. According to CNN, China will save 37 million barrels of oil each year because of their ban on plastic bags. My kids and I love these Mothering Mother mini bags for Eco-friendly lunches too! They are just big enough to carry a sandwich or snack and a great wholesale price at just $10 for 5 bags. And brands, businesses and retailers can get into the saving too by not offering single use plastic bags and instead, creating their own, custom, eco-friendly reusable bags.
3. Try not to buy nylon and polyester clothing and accessories and buy natural fibers instead. You can even buy the coolest eco-friendly, BPA and petroleum free recycled and recyclable toothbrushes made by Preserve at more than half off at the Green Polka Dot Box. The handle is made from recycled yogurt cups and the package doubles as a postage-paid mailer. Simply pop your used Preserve Toothbrush in the package, and drop it in the mail for recycling. You can also search for tons of other items that are petroleum free as well as get the petroleum free toothbrushes at over 50% off at our GPDB shop.
4. Stay away from perfumes made with petrochemicals; look for or make all-natural or organic scents made with essential oils.
5. Aspirin contains oil byproducts so try aromatherapy for your head-aches. I love petroleum free Badger Balms for everything from headaches to stress relief. You can buy Badger Balm aromatherapy at over 40% off here.
6. Most lipstick and glosses are made with petroleum products so make a point to purchase all-natural face care.
7. The next time you or your little one has a cold, don't reach for the Vicks vapor rub as it is a petroleum based product. Use an herbal remedy instead like Badger Balm Winter Wonderland with Eucalyptus. Check out the Organic Buying Club to buy all of the Badger Balm petroleum free remedies at a discount.
8. Have each member of your family use a stainless steel water bottle. Ditch the single use plastic water bottles. It is estimated that Americans use of water bottles equals 1.5 million barrels of oil, which is enough to run 100,000 cars for a whole year.
9. Just say, "NO" to Vaseline which is a petroleum based product that does nothing to nourish your skin. Instead, use an organic shea butter or organic cream.
10. Use natural pest control for your home and slather natural insect repellent on yourself and your family as many pesticides contain petroleum based chemicals.
Do not begin to think that what you do as one person in making these little changes is insignificant. Do not get sucked into that abyss of apathy. These little green changes you make right now to reduce your personal oil consumption will benefit your health and the health of our environment. The green information you share and the small reductions we make collectively in oil consumption, will be the big difference between our survival and the end of life as we know it.
Connect with Shane on Google+
The Green PolkaDot Box! Backed by the Organic Consumer's Association and EnvironmentalBooty.com, you can easily buy NonGMO organic groceries, including Harvest Fresh Organic produce, at wholesale pricing online. It's like a Sam's club but focused on products for green, healthy living! You can even shop by dietary restrictions like gluten free, vegan or diabetic and it all comes right to your front door. Enjoy!