Well I cannot believe that we are almost done with our summer long Go Green Get Fit Challenge. How have you done with your goals? One of my goals was to not gain those same pesky 10 pounds I always seem to gain and guess what? I was able to accomplish that goal!
I hope that you too find yourself in your "fighting"weight zone and ready to keep yourself committed to staying fit and feeling great as the Go Green Get Fit Challenge comes to an end. Like anything though, if you don't stay on top of your weight and healthy lifestyle, you can easily start to put yourself last on the very full plate we call life. If you are not careful, those pesky 10 pounds, or more, can easily creep backup on you and land firmly on your rear end, hips and thighs.
Accepting That Staying in Your "Goal" Weight Zone is a Part of Everyday Life, Makes Living a Little More Fun
At 43 and 124 pounds, I do not stress about those pesky 10 pounds like I used to. If I eat a bit too much today, I will eat a little less tomorrow. If I miss a workout today or three days, I get back to it as soon as I can. Once you have lost a lot of weight like I had to after I got married, and you truly desire to live healthy, you realize there are no simple and easy answers to keeping those pesky 10 pounds off or losing 20 pounds, 30 pounds or even more.
10 Little Tricks to Help You Stay in Your Goal Weight Zone
For me, maintaining my goal weight and keeping off those pesky last 10 pounds is about an overall healthy, illness free lifestyle which includes using the following 10 little everyday tricks that I hope help you out too:
- Take in fewer calories than what you put out and be honest about the number of calories you are taking in - this is the biggest one to master!! Do not eat too much! To make it really easy, download a calorie counter app for your phone like the free Calorie Counter by Fat Secret for your BlackBerry, iPhone or iPod touch.
- Make healthy, whole food choices.
- As much as possible, stay away from sugar, alcohol and HFCS.
- Find a workout program that works for you and exercise as much as you can. I shoot for 30-45 minutes about 5-6 days a week and the first thing I do when I get out of bed, is slip on my workout clothes and shoes. I have been a Firm Believer for years and love the way that their workouts combine aerobics and strength training. According to Dr. Oz, we lose an average of 5 percent of our muscle mass every 10 years after the age of 35—if we don't do anything about it. So, it's very important to increase muscle mass with weight bearing exercise. Even at rest, muscle burns more calories than fat; muscle tissue burns about seven to 10 calories per pound per day, compared to the two to three calories per pound per day burned with fat.
- Keep your mouth busy and away from food by staying fully hydrated. Drink more water or green tea sweetened with Stevia Plus than sugary fruit juices and HFCS infested sodas.
- Floss and brush your teeth right after dinner so you won't snack all night.
- Take the stairs or your bike if you are up for it and find little ways throughout the day to burn those calories. Every little bit helps. I used to do sit ups with my little one on my tummy.
- If you make or order something that is not all that you hoped it would be, do not eat it! Never feel guilty for not eating food that just is not appealing to you. Wrap it up for your hubby, roomie or kids. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean someone else might not love it.
- Keep an eye on your actual weight with a good old scale if your clothes start to feel tight. Scales do not lie.
- When you have those 10 extra pounds to lose but really want that brownie, remind yourself that just because you shouldn't eat it today, certainly doesn't mean you can't have one next week.
Connect with Shane on Google+
The Green PolkaDot Box! Backed by the Organic Consumer's Association and EnvironmentalBooty.com, you can easily buy NonGMO organic groceries, including Harvest Fresh Organic produce, at wholesale pricing online. It's like a Sam's club but focused on products for green, healthy living! You can even shop by dietary restrictions like gluten free, vegan or diabetic and it all comes right to your front door. Enjoy!