Making Small Changes in Your Everyday Habits Add Up to Help You Go Green
Guest Post by Kate Harrison, CEO of GreenBrideGuide.com
It may surprise you to know that, despite decades of campaigning and education, the EPA estimates only 5 percent of plastic and 22 percent of glass in this country actually gets recycled. According to Do Something, an organization that educates youth about the benefits of conservation, for every ton of paper that is recycled, we save 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, 4,000 kilowatt hours of electricity, 7,000 gallons of water, and 60 pounds of air pollution from being released into the environment. We also save 3 cubic yards of landfill space.
You can easily help conserve resources in your everyday life just by making a few small changes in and around your home.
Here are 5 Ways to Green Your Day-to-Day Household Habits:
- Green Your Trash Bags - It is so easy and inexpensive to get trash bags made from recycled or biodegradable material these days that there is little excuse not to use them. You can buy a roll at most supermarkets or online. Bring your own reusable tote to the grocery store with you. Leave a few totes in the trunk of your car or stash them away in your purse for unexpected trips.
- Go Bio for Fido - Scooping poop is no fun for anyone but you can make it more environmentally friendly by using biodegradable bags, which are available at most pet stores. This is an excellent alternative to using plastic bags which are nearly impossible to decompose.
- Go Cold with Your Laundry - Use an eco-friendly detergent designed for cold water. Using cold water for each wash load saves energy which is good for the earth and also saves money, which is great for your wallet. Cold water detergents are formulated to fight dirt and stains just as well as their warm water counterparts.
- Green Your Pet Food -The carbon emissions emitted from the production and transportation of your pet's food can be quite high. To offset this, look for healthy food alternatives. While organic pet food may cost a bit more, it is made with renewable resources and no pesticides or environmentally unfriendly fertilizers. Whether it comes in bottles, bags or cans, chances are that your pet's food containers can be recycled.
- Green Your Cleaning - Use a dishwasher instead of washing plates by hand. Buy an Energy Star Rated washer, only run it when it is full and skip the pre-rinse cycle. Choose Non-Toxic Cleaning Products-For every commercial and chemical based product on the market, there is probably a greener alternative...or even a homemade substitution!
- Baking Soda: This is great for cleaning, deodorizing, softening water and scouring dishes.
- Lemon: A strong food acid effective against most household bacteria.
- White Vinegar: Cuts grease, removes mildew, odors, some stains and wax build-up.
Connect with Shane on Google+
The Green PolkaDot Box! Backed by the Organic Consumer's Association and EnvironmentalBooty.com, you can easily buy NonGMO organic groceries, including Harvest Fresh Organic produce, at wholesale pricing online. It's like a Sam's club but focused on products for green, healthy living! You can even shop by dietary restrictions like gluten free, vegan or diabetic and it all comes right to your front door. Enjoy!