How Macy's and You Can Help The Heart of Haiti Beat with Trade,
Not Just AidI receive a lot of emails from bloggers, pr firms and businesses hoping I will mention their cause, product or service on EB. I really appreciate the information and I wish I could post about every single one of them. Sadly, I just can't. Although, I was particularly intrigued by the following email I received recently and wanted to share it with you.
My name is Malika Harrichran and my company, Everywhere, is working to spread the word about a program called Heart of Haiti, which helps Haitians by selling their goods (made from recycled materials) through Macy's. And I thought your readers might want to know about this. Really enjoy your Come Shop with Me section. So many good finds (love the organic truffles).
As you know, Haiti was devastated by an earthquake not quite one year ago. Instead of providing one-time funding through charity, Heart of Haiti is creating opportunities for Haitian artisans to earn income with dignity by creating jobs and sustainable income for the people of Haiti. These artisians make home décor pieces that are beautiful, hand-made, crafted from recycled materials, and benefit a really good cause. In other words, Heart of Haiti is based on “Trade, Not Aid."
|Heart of Haiti Tray - Crazy Quilt $25|
|Heart of Haiti Pendant - Heart of the Goddess $10|
Quick Facts about Heart of Haiti
* The Heart of Haiti collection has already led to employment of 350 artists in Haiti and has provided some financial benefits for an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 people in the country
* Each item is designed by a master Haitian artist and made by hand in Haiti
* Heart of Haiti products are available here
* The collection includes 40 different home decor items and accessories
* Products include vases, candle holders, serving trays, picture frames, mirrors, coasters, necklaces, clutch purses and more
* Most items fall in the $25-$60 range with some as low as $10
* To stay up-to-date with news and announcements, follow Heart of Haiti on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Thanks and please don't hesitate to reach out to me with questions.
No problem Malika! I think so many of their beautiful hand-crafted pieces would make a great Christmas gift for so many people on your list! Glad to help get the word out and big props to Macy's for helping the Heart of Haiti beat with trade, not just aid.
P.S.- I am really glad that you stopped by our Environmental Booty Blog and I hope you have learned or shared a thing or two. I hope that , now that you've found us, you won't lose us! You can join our green living online community, subscribe to our posts, download our community toolbar, Tweet with me on Twitter or Come Shop with Me to stay in touch! - Shane :)